The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Powerlifting
 
Jim Wendler Totals 1760 Raw
 

Steel Nation
Level 10

Join date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5191

I don't like that knee wraps are "raw" but who cares, still a sweet total. It appears he could have gone 680/420/720 without much more trouble.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Prime08
Level

Join date: Feb 2010
Posts: 8

Steel Nation wrote:
I don't like that knee wraps are "raw" but who cares, still a sweet total. It appears he could have gone 680/420/720 without much more trouble.

depends on what fed, many feds dont allow wraps in raw.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

frankjl
Level 2

Join date: Apr 2006
Posts: 948

My favorite part is how he couldn't be bothered to have someone operate the monolift for him, give him a lift off on his bench attempt (even with a bum shoulder), and only attempt 5 out of his 9 lifts.

That's awesome.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

ThirdUncle
Level

Join date: Jun 2009
Posts: 159

Has it been confirmed that he wore wraps? Those look like they could be EFS heavy knee sleeves as well.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

burt128
Level 5

Join date: Apr 2003
Posts: 645

ThirdUncle wrote:
Has it been confirmed that he wore wraps? Those look like they could be EFS heavy knee sleeves as well.


Watch the video again -- you can see the end of the wraps on the front of his right leg in particular.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

HERC410
Level

Join date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1695

Steel Nation wrote:
I don't like that knee wraps are "raw" but who cares, still a sweet total. It appears he could have gone 680/420/720 without much more trouble.


he's squatted 600x2 benched 455x1 and pulled 710 raw before, but the bum shoulder did his bench in, still awesome

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

JPeggEFS
Level 1

Join date: May 2009
Posts: 550

ThirdUncle wrote:
Has it been confirmed that he wore wraps? Those look like they could be EFS heavy knee sleeves as well.


Metal All blacks. Good stuff, so Ive heard.

Jason

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Cprimero
Level

Join date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1722

Steel Nation wrote:
It appears he could have gone 680/420/720 without much more trouble.


x2 Should have done a third attempt on the dead.



-Did this 18 months ago (and was a piece of piss). I bet he could grind out 750 if he'd prepped well in advance and went hell for leather

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

atsoteric
Level 3

Join date: Jun 2010
Posts: 32

Imagine if he gave a shit? The guy is awesome. He had another 5-10% in those lifts easy.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

justkevin
Level

Join date: Apr 2009
Posts: 238

I think he's got us all fooled- he gives a shit but won't admit it. What could be construed as "not caring" looks a lot more like running a smart meet. Showed up, took what he wanted and shut it down when he got it.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

JimMcD
Level 1

Join date: Feb 2003
Posts: 715

justkevin wrote:
I think he's got us all fooled- he gives a shit but won't admit it. What could be construed as "not caring" looks a lot more like running a smart meet. Showed up, took what he wanted and shut it down when he got it.


You can't miss the attempts you don't take. Jim's a very smart guy.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

PeteS
Level

Join date: May 2009
Posts: 5352

Smart choices for lifts. I take it the 405 was "if I can't bench 405 I suck", which I tend to agree with. Shoulder injuries suck and even if on a good day 500 is in the cards, 315 can fuck if your shoulder is mangled. He made smart choices.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

JPeggEFS
Level 1

Join date: May 2009
Posts: 550

justkevin wrote:
I think he's got us all fooled- he gives a shit but won't admit it. What could be construed as "not caring" looks a lot more like running a smart meet. Showed up, took what he wanted and shut it down when he got it.


He really doesnt care.

Jason

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

justkevin
Level

Join date: Apr 2009
Posts: 238

JPeggEFS wrote:
justkevin wrote:
I think he's got us all fooled- he gives a shit but won't admit it. What could be construed as "not caring" looks a lot more like running a smart meet. Showed up, took what he wanted and shut it down when he got it.


He really doesnt care.

Jason


Well, shit.
There goes that theory.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

RealPC
Level

Join date: Apr 2010
Posts: 66

JPeggEFS wrote:
justkevin wrote:
I think he's got us all fooled- he gives a shit but won't admit it. What could be construed as "not caring" looks a lot more like running a smart meet. Showed up, took what he wanted and shut it down when he got it.


He really doesnt care.

Jason


this

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

OT
Level

Join date: Nov 2009
Posts: 204

Jesus Christ, this thread should be retitled "Jim Wendler's Dick: Hop on!"

...
and in the spirit of the thread


I <3 Jim

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

WhiteTiger711
Level 4

Join date: Jul 2008
Posts: 299

His dick could total way more then 1760 raw.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

tom63
Level

Join date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5083

Jim has shown what good strength is. Go back and get some PLUSA mags from 81-87. The gear has twisted people's ideas about what strong is. I saw on another site his lifts being criticized as not to great,, when in reality just using knee wraps would have been a helluva total in the mid 80s if your name wasn't Ed Coan.

I'm not gear hater, but it has changed this game,and I don't know if it's for the best. In my first meet I used Marathon gear, a supersuit ( which I believe was their trade name for their product. and if you ask who Marathon is or was, you're to young ton know what I'm talking about in the first place).

Probably gave me 30-50 lbs total at 132 pounds on my squat. there were no bench shirts yet (1982), and if they were mom and dad didn't buy me one. Inzer, Frantz and Crain were also the the scene with gear. I switched to Inzer app 1984/85.

Bob Morris, RIP, was the first to make power belts and maybe was the best ever. My son has abandoned my Bob Morris in favor for an Elite systems belt. Probably because he thinks they're cool. But his Morris belt is better. This belt cost me 50+ dollars in 83 and was super hand made stitched etc.

And there is nothing with Elite's belt. It's good. Hell, I post over at Elite. But Morris belts were craftmanship at it's finest. So regular suits, wraps,and crappy Inzer blast shirts that gave everyone ten pound regardless of weight was the gear then.

My son is going at it raw for now. I won't buy him and gear because he didn't even get strong yet. And he's fifteen. I roll my eyes at girls trying 275 pound canvas squats. What's their raw lift, 100?? Tom is hoping and getting close to 225-250, 170-185, and 350-375 at 132.

If he does well and when he gains a little weight, I might let him use it. But first I want to see close to 400 , 225, 400+ at 148. Then it might be worth his while.

With gear you have two choices, gear up or lift raw. with the better guys lifting geared and leaving the less good to go raw, raw weenies place to much on gear for success and geared guys get a disproportionate idea on how strong they are. Wendler doing a meet and hitting what I think was an old school elite total show people what strong is.

I'm basing Elite on doing this at 220, which he was about 10-12 over. From my understanding he just entered for some fun so I'm sure he didn't cut weight.

Here are some of my off the top of my head best raw or close to it lifts. Kaz's 880+ deadlift. Kuc's 870 at 242. Weils' 485 bp at 165. Bridges geared 2100+ total in the early 80s. I'm sure he didn't wear a bench shirt but he used a suit and wraps. People have forgotten what strong is or how to get strong.

Jim's meet is an eye opener in many ways and for many people.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Woppa
Level 4

Join date: Sep 2006
Posts: 269

Jesus, it's Homer Simpson's Dad posting in here!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

irishlifting
Level

Join date: Apr 2009
Posts: 126

tom63 wrote:
Jim has shown what good strength is. Go back and get some PLUSA mags from 81-87. The gear has twisted people's ideas about what strong is. I saw on another site his lifts being criticized as not to great,, when in reality just using knee wraps would have been a helluva total in the mid 80s if your name wasn't Ed Coan.

I'm not gear hater, but it has changed this game,and I don't know if it's for the best. In my first meet I used Marathon gear, a supersuit ( which I believe was their trade name for their product. and if you ask who Marathon is or was, you're to young ton know what I'm talking about in the first place).

Probably gave me 30-50 lbs total at 132 pounds on my squat. there were no bench shirts yet (1982), and if they were mom and dad didn't buy me one. Inzer, Frantz and Crain were also the the scene with gear. I switched to Inzer app 1984/85.

Bob Morris, RIP, was the first to make power belts and maybe was the best ever. My son has abandoned my Bob Morris in favor for an Elite systems belt. Probably because he thinks they're cool. But his Morris belt is better. This belt cost me 50+ dollars in 83 and was super hand made stitched etc.

And there is nothing with Elite's belt. It's good. Hell, I post over at Elite. But Morris belts were craftmanship at it's finest. So regular suits, wraps,and crappy Inzer blast shirts that gave everyone ten pound regardless of weight was the gear then.

My son is going at it raw for now. I won't buy him and gear because he didn't even get strong yet. And he's fifteen. I roll my eyes at girls trying 275 pound canvas squats. What's their raw lift, 100?? Tom is hoping and getting close to 225-250, 170-185, and 350-375 at 132.

If he does well and when he gains a little weight, I might let him use it. But first I want to see close to 400 , 225, 400+ at 148. Then it might be worth his while.

With gear you have two choices, gear up or lift raw. with the better guys lifting geared and leaving the less good to go raw, raw weenies place to much on gear for success and geared guys get a disproportionate idea on how strong they are. Wendler doing a meet and hitting what I think was an old school elite total show people what strong is.

I'm basing Elite on doing this at 220, which he was about 10-12 over. From my understanding he just entered for some fun so I'm sure he didn't cut weight.

Here are some of my off the top of my head best raw or close to it lifts. Kaz's 880+ deadlift. Kuc's 870 at 242. Weils' 485 bp at 165. Bridges geared 2100+ total in the early 80s. I'm sure he didn't wear a bench shirt but he used a suit and wraps. People have forgotten what strong is or how to get strong.

Jim's meet is an eye opener in many ways and for many people.


Not the gear v raw again if your a strong motherfucker your a strong motherfucker regardless. Wendler was strong with it and continues to be strong without it, I don't wear it personally but if somebody does and lifts a huge weight I admire them greatly. Who cares stop posting mad shit and lift a wendleresque total.

By the way Jim is one strong motherfucker, 5/3/1 best out there imo, Pegg is alright but he wears gear!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

DoubleDuce
Level 5

Join date: Jul 2008
Posts: 12691

irishlifting wrote:
Pegg is alright but he wears gear!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL


Way to knock him down a peg.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

USMCpoolee
Level 1

Join date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1134

tom63 wrote:
Jim has shown what good strength is. Go back and get some PLUSA mags from 81-87. The gear has twisted people's ideas about what strong is. I saw on another site his lifts being criticized as not to great,, when in reality just using knee wraps would have been a helluva total in the mid 80s if your name wasn't Ed Coan.

I'm not gear hater, but it has changed this game,and I don't know if it's for the best. In my first meet I used Marathon gear, a supersuit ( which I believe was their trade name for their product. and if you ask who Marathon is or was, you're to young ton know what I'm talking about in the first place).

Probably gave me 30-50 lbs total at 132 pounds on my squat. there were no bench shirts yet (1982), and if they were mom and dad didn't buy me one. Inzer, Frantz and Crain were also the the scene with gear. I switched to Inzer app 1984/85.

Bob Morris, RIP, was the first to make power belts and maybe was the best ever. My son has abandoned my Bob Morris in favor for an Elite systems belt. Probably because he thinks they're cool. But his Morris belt is better. This belt cost me 50+ dollars in 83 and was super hand made stitched etc.

And there is nothing with Elite's belt. It's good. Hell, I post over at Elite. But Morris belts were craftmanship at it's finest. So regular suits, wraps,and crappy Inzer blast shirts that gave everyone ten pound regardless of weight was the gear then.

My son is going at it raw for now. I won't buy him and gear because he didn't even get strong yet. And he's fifteen. I roll my eyes at girls trying 275 pound canvas squats. What's their raw lift, 100?? Tom is hoping and getting close to 225-250, 170-185, and 350-375 at 132.

If he does well and when he gains a little weight, I might let him use it. But first I want to see close to 400 , 225, 400+ at 148. Then it might be worth his while.

With gear you have two choices, gear up or lift raw. with the better guys lifting geared and leaving the less good to go raw, raw weenies place to much on gear for success and geared guys get a disproportionate idea on how strong they are. Wendler doing a meet and hitting what I think was an old school elite total show people what strong is.

I'm basing Elite on doing this at 220, which he was about 10-12 over. From my understanding he just entered for some fun so I'm sure he didn't cut weight.

Here are some of my off the top of my head best raw or close to it lifts. Kaz's 880+ deadlift. Kuc's 870 at 242. Weils' 485 bp at 165. Bridges geared 2100+ total in the early 80s. I'm sure he didn't wear a bench shirt but he used a suit and wraps. People have forgotten what strong is or how to get strong.

Jim's meet is an eye opener in many ways and for many people.


Surprised you did not mention Doug Young. 2017 total @ 242- with 3 broken ribs.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

tom63
Level

Join date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5083

USMCpoolee wrote:
tom63 wrote:
Jim has shown what good strength is. Go back and get some PLUSA mags from 81-87. The gear has twisted people's ideas about what strong is. I saw on another site his lifts being criticized as not to great,, when in reality just using knee wraps would have been a helluva total in the mid 80s if your name wasn't Ed Coan.

I'm not gear hater, but it has changed this game,and I don't know if it's for the best. In my first meet I used Marathon gear, a supersuit ( which I believe was their trade name for their product. and if you ask who Marathon is or was, you're to young ton know what I'm talking about in the first place).

Probably gave me 30-50 lbs total at 132 pounds on my squat. there were no bench shirts yet (1982), and if they were mom and dad didn't buy me one. Inzer, Frantz and Crain were also the the scene with gear. I switched to Inzer app 1984/85.

Bob Morris, RIP, was the first to make power belts and maybe was the best ever. My son has abandoned my Bob Morris in favor for an Elite systems belt. Probably because he thinks they're cool. But his Morris belt is better. This belt cost me 50+ dollars in 83 and was super hand made stitched etc.

And there is nothing with Elite's belt. It's good. Hell, I post over at Elite. But Morris belts were craftmanship at it's finest. So regular suits, wraps,and crappy Inzer blast shirts that gave everyone ten pound regardless of weight was the gear then.

My son is going at it raw for now. I won't buy him and gear because he didn't even get strong yet. And he's fifteen. I roll my eyes at girls trying 275 pound canvas squats. What's their raw lift, 100?? Tom is hoping and getting close to 225-250, 170-185, and 350-375 at 132.

If he does well and when he gains a little weight, I might let him use it. But first I want to see close to 400 , 225, 400+ at 148. Then it might be worth his while.

With gear you have two choices, gear up or lift raw. with the better guys lifting geared and leaving the less good to go raw, raw weenies place to much on gear for success and geared guys get a disproportionate idea on how strong they are. Wendler doing a meet and hitting what I think was an old school elite total show people what strong is.

I'm basing Elite on doing this at 220, which he was about 10-12 over. From my understanding he just entered for some fun so I'm sure he didn't cut weight.

Here are some of my off the top of my head best raw or close to it lifts. Kaz's 880+ deadlift. Kuc's 870 at 242. Weils' 485 bp at 165. Bridges geared 2100+ total in the early 80s. I'm sure he didn't wear a bench shirt but he used a suit and wraps. People have forgotten what strong is or how to get strong.

Jim's meet is an eye opener in many ways and for many people.


Surprised you did not mention Doug Young. 2017 total @ 242- with 3 broken ribs.



Just going off the top of my head on that post. But your right.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

tom63
Level

Join date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5083

Woppa wrote:
Jesus, it's Homer Simpson's Dad posting in here!



Nope, just a reality check on what strong is.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Elite0423
Level

Join date: Jun 2010
Posts: 189

tom63 wrote:
Woppa wrote:
Jesus, it's Homer Simpson's Dad posting in here!



Nope, just a reality check on what strong is.


So Greg Panora, Dave Hoff, AJ Roberts, Matt Kroc, Josh McMillan, Chuck Vogelpohl, Vincent Dizenzo, Luke Edwards, Jason Fry, etc, etc, are not strong huh. Thats something new. Im tired of people shitting on geared lifters just because they like raw power lifting. Raw or Geared I think one major powerlifting federation whether it be mutli ply, single ply, or raw with all the top guys competing would be awesome and no assisted vs. not assisted debate either. Too bad Ill probably never see that in my lifetime even though Im only 19.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
Topic is Locked
This thread has reached its maximum number of replies. Click HERE to start a new topic.