The Intelligent & Relentless Pursuit of Muscle™
Get a Life
 
Geek S**T 8.061
 

kevinm1
Level 5

Join date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2459



Yep he's smoking too much crack

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Hell-Billy
Level

Join date: Jan 2012
Posts: 701



25 more days.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

kevinm1
Level 5

Join date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2459

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

kevinm1
Level 5

Join date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2459

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

TDub301
Level 2

Join date: Jun 2007
Posts: 973

roybot wrote:
TDub301 wrote:
orion wrote:
roybot wrote:
orion wrote:
roybot wrote:

Who needs aliens or androids? But, if it's a must, Ridley has promised a moment to rival the chestburster scene.


It will be severely disappointing and you know it.

It will not just be a mediocre movie that started out on a great premise, it will be a clusterfuck of epic proportion, making you groan with embarrassment, an excellent beginning sacrificed on the altar of supposed mass appeal.

And you know that.

Come to the dark side, life is better here.

Why did Kubrick have to die? Cameron is still alive?



I surrendered to the dark side once. I bought a ticket and saw unsympathetic, indulgent Jedis who deserved to die, overacting villains and a moronically naive teenager a through a haze of unconvinging, prohibitively expensive CGI.

"It's a kids movie" he said. Didn't stop him slaughtering the younglings in Ep.3.

You're right. It's a prequel. It'll suck.


Oh, you are revering to the infamous "oh my Senator, you are a Sith and we know that all Sith are lying liars from liarville and oh my, what big teeth you have.... what is it you say? Slaughter all the catamites in the Jedi HQs? Why yes of course, you only need to ask!"

Because this way the Jedi would lose touch with the force due to sexual frustration or some such, at this point it no longer mattered.


Question, wasn't the whole story written before any of the movies came out? I was told it's a 9 part story and they decided to use the middle 3 to make the original movies. If that is true, then instead of being mad at the movies themselves, why not be more mad at George Lucas for writing a story that was stupid in the beginning and awesome in the middle? If that's already how the story goes, how could they have made the newer movies any better?

(edit: aside from better CGI and acting, of course, I'm talking in terms of the story itself)


Yes and no. George had a very broad outline set out for the prequels at the time the original trilogy was released. I used to own a Star Wars annual from 1983 that explained Anakin fell into a river of lava after duelling Obi-Wan, so the basic plot was there.

However, he reworked certain narrative points that were supposed to be in the OT: Mace Windu featured in an early draft of the story (which is basically just a list of nonsense names. He got the story from The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell). The Ewoks were never meant to be in ROTJ at all: the climax of the movie was supposed to be set on Kashyyk, the Wookie home planet, not Endor, but dwarfs dressed as teddy bears were the cheaper, cuddly option.

Windu and Kashyyk ended up in the prequels, two of the more visible recycled elements. And his habit of retro fitting the OT with unecessary links to the prequels (Vader's "Nooo!" in Jedi?) is proof enough that a script for the prequels was never in place that early on. Everybody thought Star Wars would bomb at that point.

Unfortunately, it made Lucas so rich that he could afford to realize anything his imagination could conjure up. With the OT his ideas were reigned in by the modest budget. Any compromises worked out in his favor because he had a brilliant and innovative FX/ design team behind him.


Ah, makes sense. I thought the stories were already written, like an official story. Didn't know it was loose and open to changes.

Honestly, I always thought that most people were disappointed with the prequals because they were so young when the OT came out, they didn't know any better but to think they were awesome (especially since scifi stuff like that was pretty much brand new in movies). Sort of like when you watch a cartoon show now that you loved when you were a kid and realize it was a really really stupid show. Once they got older, it wasn't so easy to please them. I also don't notice many old people complaining about the prequals, but that may just be me seeing what I want to see to support my own logic.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

TDub301
Level 2

Join date: Jun 2007
Posts: 973

Grimlorn wrote:
There's some pretty big plot holes if you watch the Original Trilogy and then the Prequels. One I can think of is Leia says she remembers their mother in ROTJ when Luke asks about her and says she was always sad.


Could she have been referring to her adopted mother, wrongfully thinking that that was their biological mother before they really knew exactly what happened when they were born?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Grimlorn
Level

Join date: Jul 2011
Posts: 473

TDub301 wrote:
Grimlorn wrote:
There's some pretty big plot holes if you watch the Original Trilogy and then the Prequels. One I can think of is Leia says she remembers their mother in ROTJ when Luke asks about her and says she was always sad.


Could she have been referring to her adopted mother, wrongfully thinking that that was their biological mother before they really knew exactly what happened when they were born?

Doubtful. Why put that scene in the movie if it were just their adoptive mother? Luke asked her about their mother. There's no reason for it and explaining she was always sad.

I'm sure Lucas could say that today to cover the plot hole. My point was that Episodes 1-3 weren't completely planned out when 4-6 were done.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

waldo21212
Level 3

Join date: May 2008
Posts: 1608

Anonymity wrote:
God of War Ascension trailer





Worst part is it doesn't come out for over a year.

I still need to get the Origins collection for my PS3 so I can play Ghost of Sparta and Chains of Olympus.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

roybot
Level 1

Join date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6706

TDub301 wrote:
roybot wrote:
TDub301 wrote:
orion wrote:
roybot wrote:
orion wrote:
roybot wrote:

Who needs aliens or androids? But, if it's a must, Ridley has promised a moment to rival the chestburster scene.


It will be severely disappointing and you know it.

It will not just be a mediocre movie that started out on a great premise, it will be a clusterfuck of epic proportion, making you groan with embarrassment, an excellent beginning sacrificed on the altar of supposed mass appeal.

And you know that.

Come to the dark side, life is better here.

Why did Kubrick have to die? Cameron is still alive?



I surrendered to the dark side once. I bought a ticket and saw unsympathetic, indulgent Jedis who deserved to die, overacting villains and a moronically naive teenager a through a haze of unconvinging, prohibitively expensive CGI.

"It's a kids movie" he said. Didn't stop him slaughtering the younglings in Ep.3.

You're right. It's a prequel. It'll suck.


Oh, you are revering to the infamous "oh my Senator, you are a Sith and we know that all Sith are lying liars from liarville and oh my, what big teeth you have.... what is it you say? Slaughter all the catamites in the Jedi HQs? Why yes of course, you only need to ask!"

Because this way the Jedi would lose touch with the force due to sexual frustration or some such, at this point it no longer mattered.


Question, wasn't the whole story written before any of the movies came out? I was told it's a 9 part story and they decided to use the middle 3 to make the original movies. If that is true, then instead of being mad at the movies themselves, why not be more mad at George Lucas for writing a story that was stupid in the beginning and awesome in the middle? If that's already how the story goes, how could they have made the newer movies any better?

(edit: aside from better CGI and acting, of course, I'm talking in terms of the story itself)


Yes and no. George had a very broad outline set out for the prequels at the time the original trilogy was released. I used to own a Star Wars annual from 1983 that explained Anakin fell into a river of lava after duelling Obi-Wan, so the basic plot was there.

However, he reworked certain narrative points that were supposed to be in the OT: Mace Windu featured in an early draft of the story (which is basically just a list of nonsense names. He got the story from The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell). The Ewoks were never meant to be in ROTJ at all: the climax of the movie was supposed to be set on Kashyyk, the Wookie home planet, not Endor, but dwarfs dressed as teddy bears were the cheaper, cuddly option.

Windu and Kashyyk ended up in the prequels, two of the more visible recycled elements. And his habit of retro fitting the OT with unecessary links to the prequels (Vader's "Nooo!" in Jedi?) is proof enough that a script for the prequels was never in place that early on. Everybody thought Star Wars would bomb at that point.

Unfortunately, it made Lucas so rich that he could afford to realize anything his imagination could conjure up. With the OT his ideas were reigned in by the modest budget. Any compromises worked out in his favor because he had a brilliant and innovative FX/ design team behind him.


Ah, makes sense. I thought the stories were already written, like an official story. Didn't know it was loose and open to changes.

Honestly, I always thought that most people were disappointed with the prequals because they were so young when the OT came out, they didn't know any better but to think they were awesome (especially since scifi stuff like that was pretty much brand new in movies). Sort of like when you watch a cartoon show now that you loved when you were a kid and realize it was a really really stupid show. Once they got older, it wasn't so easy to please them. I also don't notice many old people complaining about the prequals, but that may just be me seeing what I want to see to support my own logic.


I always thought it was the kids who liked the prequels (the argument that the prequels are for a new generation is garbage). GL never liked the OT as they were: he didn't have the resources to realize his vision so he keeps tampering with them to the point that one day the prequels will be seen as the superior trilogy . What riles me is that the fans of his 'incomplete masterpiece' made him rich enough to do what he wanted, but he doesn't have the good grace to give them what they want or even just pretend that the OT did turn out they way he wanted.

If he wants to indulge himself, he should release the unaltered OT and the Lucas special edition with Jar Jar's underpants hanging on the wall of Jabba's Palace and let the DVD sales decide who is right.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

DarkNinjaa
Level

Join date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5422

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:



Will only watch to check out Hulk's humongous green cock.... and Chyna's She-Hulk fucking Spiderman in the ass.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

DarkNinjaa
Level

Join date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5422

Anonymity wrote:
God of War Ascension trailer







I... just... can't... wait...

But the world ends this year.... so they say....

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

kevinm1
Level 5

Join date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2459

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:
[quote]kevinm1 wrote:



Will only watch to check out Hulk's humongous green cock.... and Chyna's She-Hulk fucking Spiderman in the ass.
[/quote]

I love you!!!!!!!1!!!!

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Nards
Level

Join date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10949

kevinm1 wrote:


Yep he's smoking too much crack



That's fucking nuts!

Though I'd like to hear Lucas spell out just what it is he thinks is bad about it.

I know The Empire Strikes Back is considered by many to be the best Star Wars movie...I can sort of understand how it can be WHEN IT CAME OUT in 1980 a mildly dissatisfying movie in that it doesn't conclude the story and it doesn't really have a main goal (such as destroying the Death Star) but we're all OK with that as we enjoy the mood of the movie and the look and get lost in the character's stories. So in all it really is a great movie, but when you step back and look it's not a terribly exciting one in the sense of explosions and fast-paced action...but it is of course a deeper movie than that.
But I do remember some people not being too happy with it when it came out.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

roybot
Level 1

Join date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6706

TDub301 wrote:
Grimlorn wrote:
There's some pretty big plot holes if you watch the Original Trilogy and then the Prequels. One I can think of is Leia says she remembers their mother in ROTJ when Luke asks about her and says she was always sad.


Could she have been referring to her adopted mother, wrongfully thinking that that was their biological mother before they really knew exactly what happened when they were born?


  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

strungoutboy21
Level 5

Join date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3164

waldo21212 wrote:
Anonymity wrote:
God of War Ascension trailer





Worst part is it doesn't come out for over a year.

I still need to get the Origins collection for my PS3 so I can play Ghost of Sparta and Chains of Olympus.

I was excited when I heard about it. Not so excited that it is a prequel.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Dr.Matt581
Level 1

Join date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1290

I just saw a preview for the Dark Shadows remake (not sure if it would be classified as a remake or a reboot). It looks like it might do the franchise justice, even though I am not that big a fan of Johnny Depp (he is playing Barnabas Collins). Now I really want to watch the original series, but they don't even play reruns anymore.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

77 Style
Level 1

Join date: Apr 2012
Posts: 64

I was actually a fan of the Dark Shadows remake series in the early 90's (yes yes super cheesy) & the original. Worried that this one might of gotten the full Beatlejuice. . .if you know what I mean.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Nards
Level

Join date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10949

I hate Tim Burton and hsi cookie-cutter movies.

That goth shit he does is old.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

roybot
Level 1

Join date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6706

Nards wrote:
I hate Tim Burton and hsi cookie-cutter movies.

That goth shit he does is old.


He must have ordered too much body paint for Edward Scissorhands because Depp is white in every single movie they collaborate on.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

roybot
Level 1

Join date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6706

The Duke of Depp explains why he's wearing a dead bird on his head in The Lone Ranger:

http://www.craveonline.com/...the-lone-ranger

Geek fact: The Lone Ranger is the great uncle of Britt Reid, aka The Green Hornet. Hornet and Kato are meant to be a modern day Lone Ranger and Tonto. Don't expect Depp to be the sidekick, though: Disney are pushing this as Tonto's movie.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

waldo21212
Level 3

Join date: May 2008
Posts: 1608

http://ps3.ign.com/.../1223558p1.html

Walking Dead hits PSN today.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Swolegasm
Level

Join date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1312

waldo21212 wrote:
Anonymity wrote:
God of War Ascension trailer




Worst part is it doesn't come out for over a year.

I still need to get the Origins collection for my PS3 so I can play Ghost of Sparta and Chains of Olympus.


So is this set before he is bound to ares or during when he is bond the ares but hasnt killed his family?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Hell-Billy
Level

Join date: Jan 2012
Posts: 701

http://books.usatoday.com/...g-doors/r678935

Wind through the keyhole just released today.

Its supposedly similar to wizard and glass, focusing more on Roland Deschain's past. Gonna pick it up after work tomorrow.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Derek542
Level 5

Join date: Oct 2002
Posts: 12696

waldo21212 wrote:
http://ps3.ign.com/.../1223558p1.html

Walking Dead hits PSN today.



Is this DLC?

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
 

Nards
Level

Join date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10949

Hell-Billy wrote:
http://books.usatoday.com/...g-doors/r678935

Wind through the keyhole just released today.

Its supposedly similar to wizard and glass, focusing more on Roland Deschain's past. Gonna pick it up after work tomorrow.


I saw it here at my bookstore but I have the power to resist any hardcover...so I'll get it in a year I guess.

I'll read his JFK book 11/22/63 in a few months I guess.

  Post New Thread | Reply | Quote | Report
Topic is Locked
This thread has reached its maximum number of replies. Click HERE to start a new topic.